Spring 2020 classes have resumed online.
Please visit dcccd.edu/coronavirus for additional information and to learn how to prepare for online classes.

Journeyman Brewer and Technical Brewer

Check out what’s on tap at Eastfield College. With support from more than 20 local brewery partners, the Journeyman Brewer Program offers a hands-on certificate that will give current and aspiring brewery personnel the skills to meet the needs of the growing beer industry.

Journeyman Brewer/
Technical Brewer Program at a Glance


How Long Will I Train?

  • Campus Course 6 weeks
  • Online Course 8 weeks

Technical Brewer requires one-year of practical brewing experience and the completion of the Journeyman Brewer Certificate or passing an assessment test. Classes are self-paced. There is a mandatory practicum component that must be completed by the end of each program.


How Much Will I Spend?

  • Journeyman Brewer $3,600
  • Technical Brewer $5,000

Find out about financial aid.

Learn More About the Journeyman Brewer/Technical Brewer Program

Topping 48 other states, the Texas craft beer industry contributed more than $2.3 billion to the Texas economy, according to a study released by the Brewers Association (BA), a national nonprofit trade association representing independent craft breweries in the United States.

Texas ranked number two nationwide, trailing only California, in the impact craft breweries have on state economies. The study tracked craft beer as it flows through the three-tier system (from manufacturer to distributor to the retail tier), along with items such as food and merchandise that are sold in brewpubs and brewery taprooms.

The Brewers Association’s findings echo a 2012 study analyzing the economic impact of craft brewing in Texas, commissioned by the Texas Craft Brewers Guild, a nonprofit trade association representing most Texas craft breweries for advocacy and promotion of Texas craft beer. The Guild’s study projected a potential economic impact of $5.6 billion by 2020.

According to the BA study, the Texas craft brewing industry delivered impressive results:

  • #2 ranking nationwide in overall economic impact with $2.3 billion for 2012.
  • #3 ranking for labor income produced from craft breweries through direct and indirect economic impact.
  • #4 ranking for number of employees (FTEs) related to the craft brewing industry.

The BA study also ranked Texas 34th nationally for economic impact on a per capita basis for adults 21 or older in the state. This finding clearly demonstrates that while Texas ranks among the leaders when assessing raw economic impact, there remains significant room for growth.

Search for RSTO classes in the Eastfield CE Schedule.

View Class ScheduleEnroll Now

A One of a Kind Program

The Eastfield College Brewery Program is the only one of its kind in the southern region of the United States. It provides highly qualified employees for the workforce’s demand for certified brewers in the booming craft beer industry in Texas and the region. It does so through face to face, hybrid and online instruction. Specifically, the Journeyman Brewer Program directly partners with more than 20 local breweries that provide live learning labs at their facilities for 40% of the instruction, with the other 60% happening at Eastfield through a traditional classroom setting. Since its creation, the EFC Brewery Program has produced a 98% job placement rate and will continue to do so by expanding its partnerships. The pairings of these classes are a pipeline that enables the hobby-beer-lover to become a head brewmaster and/or craft-beer business owner.


Contact Us

Eastfield College

Workforce Development & Community Education


Looking to earn more? A career as a journeyman or technical brewer can start you on a the path to a great career in business.