Spring 2020 classes have resumed online.
Please visit dcccd.edu/coronavirus for additional information and to learn how to prepare for online classes.

Emergency Information and Crisis Intervention

Sometimes, crisis situations arise that require immediate intervention (i.e. suicidal feelings, or death of a loved one). The student can visit Counseling Services in Room C140 and alert a counselor to the nature of their crisis situation. Required paperwork will still need to be completed to be seen. 

An emotional crisis is a TEMPORARY INABILITY to cope with a life problem and is usually accompanied by a high degree of emotional upset. The person in crisis may exhibit the following characteristics:

  • A highly emotional state, panic or anxiety
  • Signs of extreme stress (physiological/psychological)
  • Signs of extreme apathy
  • Signs of violent behavior to self or others (verbal or behavioral)
  • Verbal communication that suicide and/or homicide is intended (subtle or overt)
  • Evidence of drug and/or alcohol abuse
  • Behavior inappropriate to the environment/context such as overt acts of anger
  • Extreme focus on relief
  • Great emotional upset such as uncontrollable crying
  • May make statements of hopelessness, defeat or inadequacies

Eastfield College Procedures

The following procedures are guidelines to follow with individuals who are in an emotional crisis.  

On Campus

  1. Call Eastfield Counseling Services at 972-860-7270 AND
  2. Contact the Campus Police at 972-860-4290 from cell phone or 911 from a campus phone.
  3. Please be prepared to provide the following information:
    1. Give your name, exact location and person(s) involved.
    2. Give nature of the situation and your concerns.
    3. Specify your role and clarify any assistance needed.


If you are experiencing a mental health emergency and need immediate assistance call:

911, state you are having a mental health crisis. Also you may call:

1-866-260-8000 ADAPT Community Solutions Crisis Line

(214) 828-1000 Suicide and Crisis Hotline

1-800-662-HELP (4357) Substance Abuse and Mental Health Svcs Admin

(24/7 Year-Round) or see https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline